The Sabbath is the great day for gathering in souls—it is Christ’s market-day.
Oh, what a reason is here for seeking an early in-bringing to Christ! If you are not saved in youth, it is likely you never will.There is a tide in the affairs of souls. There are times which may be called converting times. All holy times are peculiarly converting times. The Sabbath is the great day for gathering in souls—it is Christ’s market-day. It is the great harvest-day of souls. I know there is a generation rising up that would fain trample the Sabbath beneath their feet; but prize you the Sabbath-day. The time of affliction is converting time. When God takes away those you love best, and you say, “This is the finger of God,” remember it is Christ wanting to get in to save you: open the door and let him in. The time of the striving of the Holy Spirit is converting time. If you feel your heart pricked in reading the Bible, or in hearing your teacher, “quench not the Spirit;” “resist not the Holy Ghost;” “grieve not the Holy Spirit of God.” Youth is converting time. “Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not.” Oh, you that are lambs, seek to be gathered with the arm of the Saviour, and carried in his gentle bosom. Come to trust under the Saviour’s wings. “Yet there is room.”
McCheyne, R. M. (1848). The Works of the Late Rev. Robert Murray McCheyne (Vol. 1, pp. 317–318). New York: Robert Carter.
- One hour spent under the cross, while the soul is thus elevated—thus abased—thus joyful—and thus sorrowful—is better than a thousand of earthly delights.
- Meditation is the chewing upon the truths we have heard: The beasts in the old law that did not chew the cud, were unclean: the christian that doth not by meditation chew the cud, is to be accounted unclean. Meditation is like the watering of the seed, it makes the fruits of grace to flourish.
- The Bible is thought of as authoritative on everything of which it speaks. Moreover, it speaks of everything.
- Remember you are not a tree, that can stand alone; you are only “a branch,” and it is only while you abide in Him, as a branch, that you will flourish.
- The Sabbath is the great day for gathering in souls—it is Christ’s market-day.