He who seeks not the Cross of Christ, seeks not the glory of Christ.
IMITATION OF CHRIST
- There is no progress but in the imitation of Christ, who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and the Gate by which he who will be saved must enter. Every spirit, therefore, that will walk in sweetness at its ease, shunning the imitation of Christ, is, in my opinion, nothing worth.
- Your first care must be to be anxiously and lovingly earnest in your endeavours to imitate Christ in all your actions; doing everyone of them to the uttermost of your power, as our Lord Himself would have done them.
- Every satisfaction offered to the senses which is not for God’s honour and glory you must renounce and reject for the love of Jesus Christ, Who, while upon earth, had, and sought for, no other pleasure than doing the will of His Father; this, He said, was His meat and drink.
- In none of your actions whatever should you take any man, however holy he may be, for your example, because Satan is sure to put his imperfections forward so as to attract your attention. Rather imitate Jesus Christ, Who is supremely perfect and supremely holy. So doing you will never fall into error.
- Inwardly and outwardly live always crucified with Christ, and you will attain unto peace and contentment of spirit, and in your patience you shall possess your soul.
- Let Christ crucified alone be enough for you; with Him suffer, with Him take your rest, never rest nor suffer without Him; striving with all your might to rid yourself of all selfish affections and inclinations in the annihilation of self.
- He who makes any account whatever of himself, neither denies himself nor follows Christ.
- Love tribulations more than all good things, and do not imagine that you are doing anything when you endure them; so shall you please Him who did not hesitate to die for you.
- If you wish to attain to the possession of Christ, never seek Him without the Cross.
- He who seeks not the Cross of Christ, seeks not the glory of Christ.
- Desire to make yourself in suffering somewhat like our great God, humiliated and crucified; for life, if not an imitation of Him, is worth nothing.
- What does he know who does not know how to suffer for Christ? The greater and the heavier the sufferings—when suffering is in question—the better is his lot who suffers.
- All men desire to enter into the treasures and consolations of God; but few desire to enter into tribulations and sorrows for the Son of God.
- Jesus Christ is but little known of those who consider themselves His friends; for we see them seeking in Him their own comfort, and not His bitter sorrows.
John of the Cross. (1864). The Complete Works of Saint John of the Cross, of the Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. (D. Lewis, Trans.) (Vol. 2, pp. 346–347). London: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, & Green.
- Faith is the acknowledgment of the entire absence of all goodness in us, and the recognition of the cross as the substitute for all the want on our part. Faith saves, because it owns the complete salvation of another, and not because it contributes anything to that salvation.
- For we are not saved by believing in our own salvation, nor by believing anything whatsoever about ourselves. We are saved by what we believe about the Son of God and His righteousness. The gospel believed saves; not the believing in our own faith.
- The more one separates oneself from the canons of the Christian church, the further one distances oneself from the truth.
- George Leslie Mackay’s farewell address
- One hour spent under the cross, while the soul is thus elevated—thus abased—thus joyful—and thus sorrowful—is better than a thousand of earthly delights.
- The Blessing – Steven Curtis Chapman / 祝福 – 張學友 on
- Myers-Briggs in the Bible on
- In response to @TheBedKeeper comments of Romans 1 – Part II on
- In response to @TheBedKeeper comments of Romans 1 – Part I on
- “I Was Born To Love You” – English Version of “Du bist meine Welt” – From Rudolf By Frank Wildhorn on
- February 2022
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- January 2021
- November 2020
- October 2020
- August 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- October 2019
- September 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- October 2018
- June 2017
- August 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- January 2014
- September 2013
- June 2013
- August 2011
- July 2011
- July 2010
- June 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- May 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008