Study Guides for “History of Christianity”
Resources Apr 03, 2020
“History of Christianity” from Vision Video is an excellent course for both Sunday School and homeschooling. Presented by Dr Timothy George, it provides glimpses of some of the pivotal events in the spread of Christianity, from the early church to the early 20th century, and brief biographical background to some of the important figures who have impacted and shaped the history of the world.
Here are the notes I have prepared for my congregation’s Adult Christianity Education program back in 2010, which was based on the leader’s guide with my own supplementary. Each part consists of a program script and a study guide.
Part I – The Early Church
Part II – The Church in the Middle Ages
Part III – The Reformation
Part IV – The Age of Reason and Piety
Part V – A City Set on a Hill
Part VI – Into All the World
- Prayer is not so much an act as it is an attitude—an attitude of dependency, dependency upon God.
- True liberty is not the power to live as we please, but to live as we ought!
- Jesus Christ came not to make us scholars in naturals, but to endue us with such a knowledge as is in order to eternal happiness, and with such a renewing principle as might make us capable of heaven.
- The whole work of regeneration, and conversion, and sanctification, and the efficacy of the death of Christ in the soul, consists in these two things: a taking us off from self, and pitching us upon God and Christ as our end. The terminus a quo is self, the terminus ad quem is Christ.
- Salvation then, according to the Bible, is not something that was discovered, but something that happened.