Study Guides for “History of Christianity”
Resources Apr 03, 2020
“History of Christianity” from Vision Video is an excellent course for both Sunday School and homeschooling. Presented by Dr Timothy George, it provides glimpses of some of the pivotal events in the spread of Christianity, from the early church to the early 20th century, and brief biographical background to some of the important figures who have impacted and shaped the history of the world.
Here are the notes I have prepared for my congregation’s Adult Christianity Education program back in 2010, which was based on the leader’s guide with my own supplementary. Each part consists of a program script and a study guide.
Part I – The Early Church
Part II – The Church in the Middle Ages
Part III – The Reformation
Part IV – The Age of Reason and Piety
Part V – A City Set on a Hill
Part VI – Into All the World
- One hour spent under the cross, while the soul is thus elevated—thus abased—thus joyful—and thus sorrowful—is better than a thousand of earthly delights.
- Meditation is the chewing upon the truths we have heard: The beasts in the old law that did not chew the cud, were unclean: the christian that doth not by meditation chew the cud, is to be accounted unclean. Meditation is like the watering of the seed, it makes the fruits of grace to flourish.
- The Bible is thought of as authoritative on everything of which it speaks. Moreover, it speaks of everything.
- Remember you are not a tree, that can stand alone; you are only “a branch,” and it is only while you abide in Him, as a branch, that you will flourish.
- The Sabbath is the great day for gathering in souls—it is Christ’s market-day.